Back Surgery Alternatives
Back surgery can help relieve some causes of back pain, but it is rarely necessary. Usually most back pain resolves itself in a short time. The most common type of ailments is low back pain and neck-shoulder pain. Most surgeries that are performed for these ailments are to release pressure caused by herniated discs impinging nerve roots coming out from the spinal cord. Bone spurs on the spinal vertebrae may also be causing pain or numbness from narrowing of the space around the spinal cord through your vertebrae.
Besides the overwhelming financial burden,depending on your insurance, this option is sometimes not feasible for many patients. Potential risks to any surgical procedure include unforeseeable complications caused by anesthesia, blood clots, undiagnosed medical problems such as silent heart disease, and rare allergic reactions. Complications of spinal surgery can include neurological damage, paralysis, damage to the surrounding soft tissue and, where used, instrument malfunction. Most of these complications can be treated once they are detected, but sometimes they require a longer period of hospitalization or recovery, additional medications, and sometimes even additional surgery. Depending upon the type of surgery you are having, these risks will be explained by the primary surgeon. As a patient, it is important to understand and follow your doctor’s advice so that the best possible outcome can be achieved but second opinions are valuable in order for each patient to decided on the best course of action.
Back surgery is our last option here at Center For Advanced Soft Tissue Release. This is how we treat various back ailments in order to avoid surgery VIRTUALLY PAIN FREE.
- ASTR® Tools: Dr. Jacobs will use a variety of his patented ASTR® tools to release scar tissue and myofascial restriction, which can decrease mobility and flexibility. Most of the ASTR® treatment is PAIN FREE. Since many back pain issues are often associated with these fascial restrictions, Dr. Jacobs customizes his treatment specifically for each patient to work at their comfort level.
- Special exercise programs and education to decrease pain, strengthen the muscles, stabilize and help the patient to return to normal function and activities. Dr. Jacobs will analyze your daily habits at home and work and patients to prevent these ailments from returning.
- Special instructions on how to speed up the recovery time.
- Cold Laser Therapy: Tissue inflammation is common with back ailments and nerve impingement. Cold laser is used in order to decrease inflammation that causes pressure on the affected area.
- PEMF treatment which utilizes a form of electromagnetic therapy that stimulates cellular repair and recharges the body’s cells to optimize its performance. This treatment is especially recommended for disc herniations, nerve impingement and arthritis in the spinal cord which are the most common causes of debilitating back pain. You can expect immediate results in as little as ten minutes in most cases.