Back pain - Backaches
Back pain / backaches have been experienced by about 80% of the population at some point in their life and is most common in adults between the ages of 35 to 55. Worldwide, it is the reason most people go to the doctor and miss work and one of the leading causes of disability. The upper, middle and lower back are all included in what we call back pain or backaches. this may even include sciatica with low back pain or backaches. Back pain / backaches may be a result of arthritis, degenerative disc disease, muscle and nerve problems. Often times back pain / backaches are self inflicted due to poor body mechanics, sporting injuries, accidents and improper lifting techniques. The good news is, that there are measures you can take to relieve and in most cases prevent episodes of back pain / backaches with proper body mechanics and simple home treatments. Fortunately, surgery is rarely needed for the treatment of back pain / backaches.
Symptoms of Back Pain / Backaches
- Stiffness or persistent aching any where along the spine from your neck to your tail bone
- Sharp pain after lifting heavy objects or other strenuous activities in your upper, lower back or neck
- Some may experience fever or inflammation (swelling) of your back
- Back pain / backaches that do not subside when lying down or resting
- Some may experience pain that runs down your leg or below your knees
- Some may even experience numbness around your genitals, buttocks or anus.
- Some may experience urinary or fecal incontinence
Causes of Back Pain / Backaches
- Muscles or ligaments strained during activity
- Improper lifting, pulling, pushing or carrying of an object or lifting, pulling, pushing or carrying an object that is too heavy
- Standing, bending down, sitting in a hunched position or driving without a break for long periods
- Over stretching
- Twisting, coughing or sneezing
- Bad mattress
- Muscle spasms or tension
- Moving awkwardly or abruptly
- Poor posture or body mechanics
- Arthritis can cause back pain / backaches
- Bulging or ruptured discs
- Abnormal curvature of the spine
- Cancer of the spine
- Infection of the spine or other infections
- Cauda equina syndrome
Risk Factors of Back Pain / Backaches
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Strenuous physical work or exercise
- Being overweight or obese
- Stress or mentally stressful job
- Anxiety or depression
Prevention of Back Pain / Backaches
- Exercise, core strengthening and flexibility
- Proper posture when standing, sitting and lifting
- Maintain proper body weight
- Cease smoking
Back pain Treatment:
We use the following approaches to relieve Back Pain / Backaches:
- ASTR® Tools: Our doctors use a variety of ASTR® tools to release scar tissue and myofascial restriction, which can decrease mobility and flexibility.
- Special exercise program to decrease pain, strengthen the muscles, stabilize and help the patient to return to normal function and activities.
- Special instructions on how to speed up the recovery time.
- Cold Laser Therapy: Tissue inflammation is common with back pain / backaches. Cold laser is used in order to decrease inflammation that causes pressure on the affected area.