A compartment is a group of muscles, nerves, and blood vessels in an individual’s arm or leg. Fascia is a connective tissue that holds the walls of these compartments. A Compartment Syndrome occurs when excessive pressure and fluid build up within the muscles due to an injury. The pressure can decrease blood flow to and from the nerve and muscle cells, which decreases oxygen and nutrients to the affected tissue. Compartment Syndrome can be either acute or chronic. It is a medical emergency and is usually caused by a severe injury. Without treatment, Compartment Syndrome can lead to permanent muscle damage
Compartment Syndrome’s Causes
- A fracture
- A badly bruised muscle
- Crush injuries
- Anabolic steroid use
- Overly tight bandaging
- A blood clot in a blood vessel in an arm of leg
- Surgery to blood vessels of an arm or leg
Compartment Syndrome’s Symptoms
- A new and persistent deep ache in an arm or leg
- Using or stretching the involved muscles increases the pain
- Tingling or burning sensation in the skin
- Muscle tightness
- Numbness or paralysis are late signs of compartment syndrome
- Visible muscle bulging
Compartment Syndrome Treatment
In order to relieve muscle pain symptoms, we address the problem holistically and naturally, without medication.
We use the following approaches to relieve Compartment Syndrome’s symptoms:
- ASTR® Tools: Our doctors use a variety of ASTR® tools to release scar tissue and myofascial restriction and increase mobility.
- Special exercise program to decrease pain, strengthen the muscles, and help the patient to return to normal function and activities.
- Special instructions on how to speed up the recovery time.
- Cold Laser Therapy: Tissue inflammation and inability of the body to heal are common with Compartment Syndrome. Cold laser is used in order to decrease pressure build-up, inflammation, and pain in the muscles.
Call us today to start the journey of pain relief!