Diabetic neuropathy is a neuro condition where there nerve damage is done as a result of diabetes. Diabetic neuropathy seems to be related to blood sugar levels being too elevated for an extended period of time. Diabetic neuropathy can range from mild to debilitating and can be a very serious complication of diabetes. Neuropathy cannot be reversed but there are treatments to manage symptoms, prevention is a key component for those who are diabetic.
The 4 Major Types of Neuropathy
- Peripheral Neuropathy- Feet, hands, and arms
- Autonomic Neuopathy- Heart, bladder, lungs, eyes, sex organs, stomach, intestines
- Radiculoplexus Neuropathy- hips, legs, buttocks, thighs
- Mononeuropathy- face, torso, legs
Risk factors for Diabetic Neuropathy
- High Blood Sugar
- Alcohol Abuse and Smoking
- Nerve Inflammation
Non-Surgical Treatment for Diabetic Neuropathy Symptoms
- ASTR® Tools: Our doctors use a variety of ASTR® tools to release scar tissue and myofascial restriction, which can decrease pain and give symptom relief.
- Special exercise program to decrease inflammation, strengthen the muscles, and help the patient to return to normal function and activities.
- Special instructions
- Cold Laser Therapy: Tissue inflammation is common with Diabetic Neuropathy. Cold laser is used in order to decrease inflammation and swelling that causes pain in the affected area.