The elbow has many functions and assists with almost all arm movement. There can be many reasons why the elbow would be hurting, but usually isn't serious. Since the elbow is used in many ways, the pain can definitely affect your daily routines.
Common causes of Elbow Pain
- Ligaments sprains and tears
- Numbness/ tingling
- Non-weight bearing
- Unable to straighten limb
Risk Factors for Elbow Pain
- Overuse of the joint
- Too much stress at any one point on the joint
- Sports activities
Prevention of Elbow Injury
- Avoid any strenuous lifting
- Avoid sports activities that involve repetitive motion of the elbow.
- Prevent falls: although unforeseen incidents are unpredictable, being aware of surrounding areas will help prevent an accident
- Use correct body mechanics while using the elbow
Treatment for Elbow Pain
Some elbow pain, in minor injuries, will heal on their own. Home treatment will usually help the problem and if not, then it is something more severe.
- ASTR® Tools: Our doctors use a variety of ASTR® tools to release scar tissue and myofascial restriction, which can decrease pain and give symptom relief.
- Special exercise program to decrease inflammation, strengthen the muscles, and help the patient to return to normal function and activities.
- Special instructions on how to speed up the recovery time.
Most minor elbow injuries heal on their own. Always being aware of the risk factors during activity will help prevent any further injury. First aid treatment will help reduce the chance of infection and/or a more serious injury.