Shin splints are a pain along the shin bone that typically occurs in runners and dancers. Shin splints occur when there is an overworking of the muscles, tendons, and bone tissue due to an increase in activity or change in routine. Shin splints can cause tenderness, throbbing, aching, or mild swelling in the front of the lower leg. Shin splints can last anywhere from 1-3 days, but could be part of a greater problem if they do not.
Shin Splint Risk Factors
- Running, especially a new runner or beginning a new running program.
- Flat feet or collapsing arches
- High arches
- Weakness in the hips or core
- Running on uneven terrain
- Stress Fractures
Treatment for Shin Splints
In order to relieve shin splint symptoms, we address the problem holistically and naturally, without medication.
We use the following approaches to relieve shin splints:
- ASTR® Tools: Our doctors use a variety of ASTR® tools to release scar tissue and myofascial restriction, which can decrease flexibility and add more pressure to the shin.
- Special exercise program to decrease pressure on the shin, strengthen the muscles, stabilize the leg and help the patient to return to normal function and activities.
- Special instructions on how to speed up the recovery time.
- Cold Laser Therapy: Tissue inflammation and swelling are common with shin splints. Cold laser is used in order to decrease inflammation that causes pressure to the shins.
Call us today to start the journey of pain relief!