Wrist pain is a very common complaint. There are many reasons why wrist pain can occur and it is important to correctly diagnose the problem in order to prescribe the right treatment.
Causes of wrist pain
- Wrist pain can occur from sudden injuries, such as sprains or fractures
- Can also occur over time, such as repetitive stress, arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Bacterial infection
- Bone/soft tissue tumor
- Trouble making a fist
- Numbness/ tingling
Risk factors for wrist pain
- Participation in sports
- Repetitive work with use of the hands and wrist
- Certain conditions or diseases
Prevention of Wrist Pain
- Prevent falls: although unforeseen incidents are unpredictable, being aware of surrounding areas will help prevent an accident
- Build bone strength: done with resistance training, without any pain.
- Protective gear
- Proper posture: making sure when using the hand or wrist that the joint in not flexed or extended for long periods of time and/or working at a computer, having wrist support.
Home Remedies for Wrist Pain
- Rest: allows for inflammation to subside.
- Reduced activity
Wrist Pain Treatments
The treatment procedure is dependent on the diagnosis and the severity of the issue. There are a few quick fixes that are short term such as;
- ASTR® Tools: Our doctors use a variety of ASTR® tools to release scar tissue and myofascial restriction, which can decrease pain and give symptom relief.
- Special exercise program to decrease inflammation, strengthen the muscles, and help the patient to return to normal function and activities.
- Special instructions on how to speed up the recovery time.
Wrist pain can occur at any point in time. There are many ways to prevent any injury to the wrist by knowing the risk factors. Being self-aware in daily activities will help in prevention of any injury. Resting the wrist may resolve the problem.